Yep. You read correctly. I’m not going on a single date in 2014. I know, it either sounds crazy or like it’s not a big deal. A few years ago, it wouldn’t have been a big deal if I went years without going on a date – because there were many years when I had no dates. But, 2013 proved to be such a rough year for me in the dating realm, that I decided to give it up for a year.
I’m mostly starting this blog to try to hold me accountable. Dates seem so innocent. I mean, hey. There’s a cute guy. He wants to go out with you. What’s one date, right? WRONG. One date leads to a couple dates which leads to me liking him which leads to him disliking me which leads to me sitting in my car crying because I just got told I’m being rejected AGAIN. So no more!
I’m a terrible dater. I’ve given it the ol’ college try. I’ve gone out again and again, hoping to improve my lacking skills. But it hasn’t worked. If anything it’s probably gotten worse. So let’s just take a sabbatical from dating.
Here are the things I’m going to focus on this year instead of boys:
- Writing. All writing. My screenplay, this blog, maybe my journal, poetry, my book idea, etc.
- Career. I have yet to really focus on a career become a great employee. This is not because of boys – hopefully. But being distracted by breakups sure doesn’t help.
- Art. I used to paint and do art the year after college. I think it was mostly because my job took a lot of my brain power and I needed a way to decompress after work – and my old standby, writing, took too much brain power. So I started painting. I’d like to get back into that. And other crafts. Maybe crochet again. Maybe I’ll tackle more Pinterest crafts and post the disasters here for you to see.
- Cooking. I also used to cook a lot. It started when I was a kid and kind of fizzled shortly after college (when “real life” and the job took over). I used to cook, bake. All that. I want to do more. Partly to be healthy and lose weight and partly just to make myself a well-rounded person.
- Exercise. I have become soft and lazy. I used to work out all the time. I used to have a job that kept me in shape so I didn’t have to work out. Now I have to actually try. That old metabolism is slowing down as we speak.
- Faith. During the past few years I have really fallen away from regular worship and prayer. I think it was another lazy thing or maybe it was a doubt thing…I’m not sure. But I want to do better.
Well, that’s all I can think of for now. But I plan on documenting my daily adventures right here. That way anyone can follow what becomes of my life away from dating. I have just over one year to become the best person I can be! (Ok, I really have more time than that, but this will being the best me without any influence from boys.)
So this technically happened right before my decision not to date, but I’m going to include it in my plan. I made a Facebook page for one of my cats. Yes, my friends have made fun of me already. I know. It’s weird/dumb/crazy. But I’m doing it. And I will enjoy it. Follow him at http://www.facebook.com/stuarttheextra. His eyes are crossed and he’s going to start wearing bow ties.
Welcome to my adventure!